You should apply for a passport through the Department of State’s official online site. In place of being written, this will create a PDF application that you can print. The fact that it is uniquely barcoded and makes processing easier comes as a bonus to the fact that it is secured by the federal government.
DS-11 Application Links
DS-11 Guidelines for Adults
DS-11 Eligibility (Adults)
You should finish up a DS-11 Form if:
- You’ve never applied for a passport before.
- Your current passport is more than five years old.
- In case of the loss, destruction, or theft of your passport
- You are requesting or re-requesting a minor’s passport (age 15 or younger)
There will be fields on the DS-11 electronic form that are not essential, but the more information you provide, the better. Whenever possible, you should include the information that is being requested.
Here are a few pointers for completing the DS-11:
- A passport must match your evidence of identification, so be sure your name is written exactly how you want it to. (PRO TIP: Before requesting a passport, confirm that your license reflects the new name if you recently got married and altered it.)
- Fill in the passport number with all zeros if you have already received a passport but do not remember it.
Completing the DS-11 application
You will reach an “edit” page after completing all of the fields. Take a moment to carefully evaluate your application at this point and make any required adjustments.
1.Fees for Product Selection and Application
The page for products, services, and fees will then appear. You may find out the cost of your application fees on this page. Make checks or money orders payable to the “US Department of State” when submitting your application. Although the cost of the acceptance clerk is included in the total, you must pay it separately when you have your application sealed. You will be prompted to choose the products you want in the first section:
Passport book –Standard 28 pages or non-standard 52 pages
Passport Card – Only valid for trips to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean by land or sea
Both book and card
2.Shipping & Expediting
The shipping and service options you choose in the next sections will depend on how quickly you require your passport. You will now double-check to see if a file search is being performed.
3.Printing the application
On the following page, you can print and make a PDF version of your application. Simply navigate to the Create Form section in the bottom left corner to get started. Before you can construct the form, you must choose the checkbox for computer fraud that is located above it. Your application will now be turned into a 6-page PDF for printing. Page 5 and page 6—out of a total of six—are the application. Print them out and make sure they are UNSIGNED after you are done. The application must be signed in front of the acceptance clerk.