Skip to main content


Lost / Damaged Passport Replacement

The most effective method to get replaced your Lost and Damaged Passport

Assuming your passport has been Lost or Taken, the main thing to do is report it to the U.S. Department of State. On the off chance that you are not anticipating applying for another passport you can call to report the misfortune or robbery:

  • 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793)
  • Operators are available 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., ET, Monday-Friday, excluding Federal holidays
Lost or Damaged Passport

Lost, Harmed, Taken Passport Guide - Without Substitution Application

You can fill out a DS-64 form to specify the circumstances surrounding the passport’s loss, theft, or even damage. This form is available at any nearby post office, or you can print it from your computer and complete it in black pen. If the passport is damaged, you must also submit a fully filled and signed DS-64 form in addition to the damaged passport.

You simply need to mail the DS-64 form, which must be completed and signed, to the following address if you want to report a lost or stolen passport without getting a replacement:

U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036

Passport Substitution Guidelines

Doesn’t matter why you need to replace your passport, you must complete and sign a DS-64. You must submit your damaged passport together with the application if the replacement is being requested due to damage. Alongside the DS-64, you should likewise follow precisely the same procedure as applying for a new passport.

Lost/Taken Passport – Supportive Tips

When reporting your passport as stolen or lost (does not apply to passports with damage), keep the following in mind:

  • The Passport Agency will instantly invalidate your lost or stolen passport and prevent you from travelling after you report it lost or stolen by phone or after they receive a DS-64 form. A passport cannot be revalidated after it has been reported lost or stolen.
  • Please deliver the passport to the location above if you find it after you’ve reported it missing or stolen. When you submit it, it will be cancelled upon request and sent back to you. On the off chance that a return isn’t mentioned, it will be disposed of.
  • A consular lost-and-stolen passport system is updated with the details you supply when reporting it missing or stolen. Remember that losing your passport many times could result in you receiving a replacement with a one-year expiration date or, in the worst-case scenario, being turned down entirely.

Lost or misplaced passports during transportation

You should get in touch with the National Passport Information Center to report the non-receipt of the passport if you have checked the Online Passport Status System or spoken with them and they have told you that your new passport has been mailed out but you have not received it after ten business days. You will be required to reapply and pay any fees that may be associated with it if you fail to report the non-receipt of your passport within 90 days of the day it was issued.

Rapid Replacement of a Lost or Stolen Passport

The Department of State’s official passport processing schedule will be followed while creating a replacement passport. A trip to a regional passport office or using an expediting service will get you a new passport in the shortest amount of time.

Please get in touch with the nearby American embassy or consulate if your passport is lost or stolen abroad.

Common Questions & Answers about Lost / Damaged Passports

I found a passport, what should I do with it?

Please mail the found passport, using a sturdy envelope, to:
U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036

Can I continue to use my passport if it has been damaged?

You will need to apply for a new passport if your passport has been significantly damaged, especially the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo. You will need to report your passport damaged and re apply for a new one. Water damage, a significant tear, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages (torn out), a hole punch and other injuries may constitute “damage”. Normal wear of a U.S. passport is understandable and likely does not constitute “damage”. For instance, the expected bend of a passport after being carried in your back pocket or fanning of the visa pages after extensive opening and closing. In most cases of normal wear, you may renew your passport by mail.

If a passport was reported as lost and was later found, can it be used for travel?

Once you report your passport lost or stolen it cannot be re-validated. You will have to re-apply for a new passport if you intend to travel.

The application form is asking for my previous passport number.

You must put nine zero’s and estimate the date of issuance.

Will losing a passport multiple times case delays when re-applying or renewing?

When you lose your passport it is reported and kept on record. When you repeatedly misplace your passport not only can it cause delays when you are re applying but it can also cause the State Department to issue you a passport that is only valid for a year. This usually happens if you have lost multiple passports in a short amount of time or you have used the DS-64 form more than two times.